In Austria sex work is legal and regulated by many different laws. As a sex worker you are always self-employed.

Therefore, you have rights, but also many obligations.

New to sex work in Tyrol?

  • 1. You must register in your new municipality of residence (at the registration office) within 3 days. In Innsbruck, for example, at the town hall (Rathaus) on the 1st floor.
  • 2. You must register as self-employed with your local tax office so that you can get your own tax number (see Taxes).
  • 3. You must apply for a health book at the health office (Bezirkshauptmannschaft) and have a check-up every 6 weeks (see health examinations).
  • 4. Once you have a tax number and a health book, you can work (only) in an approved establishment (brothel) of your choice.
  • 5. You must register for medical aid with the SVS within one month of starting work (in any case) and be insured if you earn more than €5710.32/year. If you earn less than €5710.32, you can cancel your compulsory insurance.
  • 6. If you want to live or work in Austria for longer than 3 months, you have to apply for a registration certificate (Anmeldebescheinigung) within 4 months after arrival, even if you are an EU or EEA citizen. This is important if you want to stay here longer, because it will result in many advantages for you (unemployment benefit, child care benefit, etc.). For more information watch the video below or contact us. You can apply for a Anmeldebescheinigung at your local "Bezirkshauptmannschaft".