As sex workers are considered self-employed in Austria (so-called "Neue Selbständige"), you have to be insured with the SVS.

The insurance limit in 2021 is €5,710.32 (€475.86 per month). This means that if you earn more than €5,710.32 per year, you must be insured. This compulsory insurance includes accident, health and pension insurance.

If you earn less than €5,710.32 per year, you do not have to take out insurance and can opt out of compulsory insurance. Nevertheless, we advise you to do so.


There are several options here, e.g. the "opting-in option". In this case, however, you only have accident and health insurance, but no pension insurance.


For more information:



Information on taxes and insurance
taxes and insurance_2021.pdf
Adobe Acrobat Dokument 741.4 KB